This 2004 statue captures John A. Hannah walking briskly in mid-stride, reflecting his non-stop activity on behalf of the university. Hannah was MSU’s 12th president, serving from 1941 to 1969, during a period of unprecedented growth for the university and a time that saw MSU become one of the largest and most respected universities in the world. It was under his leadership that the university’s student population rose from 6,000 to nearly 40,000, and Michigan State College became Michigan State University.
The sculpture is bronze on a granite base. It is 7 feet tall and weighs 700 lbs.
(Source: MSU Public Art on Campus Committee)