Dedicated on October 12, 1912 to the First Regiment of Michigan Engineers, which was a forerunner of today’s Army Corps of Engineers. This regiment’s job during the Civil War was to build roads, railroads, bridges, buildings, communication lines, and tear down enemy roads, railroads, bridges, etc. all while under fire in the worst possible conditions. The monument is made of granite and rests on a concrete base and was paid for by surviving members of the regiment, their families and friends, and by the City of Lansing.
(Source: Michigan Senate)