On the corner of Walnut and Washtenaw Street in Lansing stands a statue of George Washington. His figure is memorialized in bronze in front of the Lewis Cass Building. The building is named for one of Michigan’s original territorial governors. It is also one of Michigan’s oldest office buildings. It once served as the state office building until the completion of the first part of a new state government complex in 1953, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places as “State Office Building” in 1984. The building currently houses numerous businesses including the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
The statue of our first President compliments the building’s classical revival style and its historical significance within our states government. It fits in well with the government based environment surrounding the area.